Impossible loads

527526_305108692892091_310356996_n-640x425

Every day I struggle with stuff. Trying to fit everything into a bag, into the bottom of a stroller, into a laundry basket, into the dishwasher… Trying to carry too many things at once. I’m in the process of moving to a new house and so stuff in general feels weighted, heavy, burdensome. This is a new idea I’m thinking about for my creative work. The impossibility of stuff. Impossible loads. Juggling too many things at once. Just barely keeping it all together.

image credit: 10 impossible loads made possible via African transport

The final rehearsals of Boat to Nowhere

We are in the final rehearsals for Boat to Nowhere, which will be performed this coming Sunday, May 17 at 2 and 5pm at The Play House (12657 Moran Street, Hamtramck MI). The performance is part of the Porous Borders Festival curated by The Hinterlands. It’s going to be an amazing two days, and it’s all free!

I have learned so much through this rehearsal process, and it’s the first production for a long time that I have not directed and acted in at the same time. it’s been refreshing to sit on the outside, as the playwright and director, and allow others to bring it to life. I really love directing. And I’m eager to keep writing. This play is good, it really is, and I’m proud of it. I’m looking forward to seeing it through an audience’s eyes on Sunday.

Here are a few stills from our rehearsal yesterday. I will post images from the actual performance soon, along with video excerpts!

1796747_996793456998170_3349390617743857771_o 10704294_996793453664837_867345632649360707_o

11146578_996793460331503_7405224126499919573_o

11170303_996793450331504_4143773706158901151_o

Textured orange stretchy fabric score

I’m super excited about this large roll of textured bright orange stretchy fabric that I scored for $10 at the thrift shop today!! I’ve been obsessed with fish and sea life recently, and this fabric has fish written all over it. I have a vision of a choreography of several human-sized fish. Excited to start experimenting with fish costume construction! 

       

Theatrical Mermaid Tail Tutorial

IMG_5086

my basement art studio!

Last night I stayed up until 3am after my son Arlo went to bed to construct a mermaid tail for my upcoming theater production of “Boat to Nowhere.” This is the first element of a costume that I am still working on, which is written in the play (which I wrote) to be a fish/mermaid/sea creature character. I’m still deciding on what the upper portion of the body will look like, so I thought I’d start with the tail. And who doesn’t want to make a mermaid tail in the wee hours of the morning??! Below are step-by-step instructions on how I did it, in case you might want to make a mermaid tail too!

I watched a couple of interesting (and quirky) youtube video tutorials for homemade mermaid tails. The most useful one I found is the following: DIY How to Make a Mermaid Tail for Under $25. I’ll admit that I didn’t watch the whole video, mainly just the intro, where I got the following measurements:

38″ center height
43″ height to outside edge of tail
10″ tail width
5 1/2″ width on top
3 3/4″ width at skinniest point (knees)

This was based on the size for a 3-7 year old, so I measured the length from my waist to the bottom of my feet and added the additional amount to the center and tail height. I figured my hips are bigger than a 7-year-olds (lol!), so I also added an inch to all width measurements. In hindsight, I should have added at least 2 inches, but luckily stretchy fabric is forgiving!

IMG_5085As per the video, I drew out the measurements on a big piece of cardboard that I happened to have in my art studio. I lay down over the drawing to make sure that the length was correct.
IMG_5088
Then, I cut the sketch out!
IMG_5090
Next, I placed the center of the cutout on a folded piece of stretchy swimmer/dancer fabric that I bought at JoAnn Fabrics. The center went right along the folded side.
IMG_5091
I traced around the cutout with a green sharpie pen, and cut it out. I did the same thing again so that I had a total of two cutouts, front and back.
IMG_5093
Then I pinned the two pieces together, with the shiny sides facing in. This was a bit challenging because of the weird shape and stretchiness of the fabric. It was hard to get it perfect, but once again that’s the beauty of stretchy fabric- it’s forgiving!
IMG_5095
Next, I sewed the two sides together. I didn’t have green thread, so I used black thread instead. I sewed all the way from one top corner of the waist around to the other. I left the waist open, and then sewed in an elastic band at the top (sorry, I didn’t take a picture of this step).
IMG_5100
Last but not least, I put polyester stuffing into the bottom of the tail to give it form.

And there you have it! A theatrical mermaid tail. I personally like that it’s kind-of frumpy looking. When I wear it and walk it’s awkwardly funny, like having two giant feet attached at the heels, with a very limited range of motion in my legs. I will be playing the fish/mermaid/creature character in the production, and the movement limitation will influence the character. I’ll post updates as the upper torso and head of the costume develop. So please, stay tuned!

And let me know if you have any questions about the tutorial :).